Monday, October 6, 2008

letter to the editor

Why is it that some people think their next-door neighbor is qualified to be vice-president or even president? Isn't that what we were hearing about George W. Bush a few years back- that he is someone a lot of people could imagine having a beer with?

Are the people I "identify" with qualified to run the country? After all, I am well-educated, informed, and pretty nice most of the time, though I can be tough when riled. Would that make me a good president?

My neighbors are nice people-- some are funny, some have great lawns, and all can be counted on to loan me a cup of sugar if I ask. Would I like to see any of them in the Oval Office? No I would not.

Of the four candidates for the two highest offices, I have most in common with John McCain, because sometimes I make rash judgments and speak before I think; sometimes my quick temper and sharp tongue get me in trouble. I have gaps in my knowledge that sometimes I'm willing to admit, and other times I'm not.

I do not want a president who is just like me. I want a smart, thoughtful, cool-headed president who can help this country rise up again and restore our standing in the world. I want a president who is looking forward and understands the challenges of this century. I want a vice-president who does not have plans to further expand the powers of that office (as Cheney has so dangerously done.) That is why I am supporting the Obama-Biden ticket.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: